Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Kade Melvin


Kade was named after his Grandpa Mel. Kade never got to meet his Grandpa because he passed away from cancer on May 1, 2002. Shortly after dad's passing, my baby clock started ticking very loudly & I had to listen to it for another 5 years before getting my little guy.

To me it was clear that my first born son would get the name of my dad, who I am so proud of and miss so dearly. Now I look at him and think of him as my little Melvin! I hope he has as good of a relationship w/Chad as Chad and Mel did.

I will have many stories of Grandpa Mel to tell Kade and will tell him how Grandpa would be honored that he took his name. Grandpa was about as laid back of a guy that you could find. As long as the people around him were happy, then he was happy. He would give you the shirt off his back and the food off his plate; just the most generous person you'd ever know. Grandpa Mel was always trying to get people to laugh and had quite the sense of humor. I will always remember the image of him with a "Kools" cigarette out of the side of his lip, a "cocktail" in his hand, and laughing "Her, her, her", while squinting his eye from the burn of the smoke. He literally could do this while fishing, hunting, or driving around the farm. You would always see him with a smile and he loved giving "Nance" guff while joking around with her.

I will miss seeing him giving Kade buckets of candy and pop when we visit the farm. He would be so proud of Kade! I can envision Grandpa letting him sit in the back of the orange pick up while they drove up west to look for deer or pheasants. Kade will grow up listening to George Jones and the Casey James Band. those would be Mel's favorites today.

Chad will teach Kade to hunt and fish like he and Grandpa Mel did. Chad & Mel were inseparable for 5 years and things haven't been the same since he's gone. We are looking forward to our new future with Kade Melvin Fischer and hope he grows up proud of his name!

No comments: